1. Be sure to book your next appointment before you leave so you can be certain of securing the time you desired. As an added bonus you will save $5 off the service price when you keep that reserved appointment time! That means if you change the appointment to another day you will NOT receive the discount.
2. Get into the habit of using your Solar Oil every day at bedtime. If your nails are prone to peeling ask me about Rescue Rx for your nails. If you wash your hands a lot (hello nurses and moms) or are in water a lot try using your oil 3 times per day for best results.
3. When applying your Solar Oil remember to apply both onto the cuticles and under the nails. Do NOT use your fingers to rub in the oil. Allow the oil to soak into your skin and nails.
4. If you experience peeling or chipping of the gel polish, DO NOT peel it off. The polish is bonded to your nail and violently removing it by peeling it off will take off a layer of your nail also. Use cuticle nippers to snip off the loose product and apply base coat followed by a matching color to the naked nail area. This should preserve your nail until you can get in for a repair.
5. If you have excessively dry cuticles try using a cuticle cream multiple times per day after you apply your Solar Oil. A lip balm such as Chapstick all naturals or Burts Bees in stick form works great to seal in your natural moisture and acts as a barrier to prevent your skin from drying out. Easy to keep in pockets too.
6. Your nails are jewels, not tools. Think of them as accessories to your hands like your diamond ring. You would never use your precious ring to scrape gook off the counter or pan, so please do not use your nails for that purpose either.
7. Invest in some Rubbermaid gloves for around the house doing dishes or general housework. You can use hotter water and you will not be exposing your skin or nails to the corrosive effects or poisonous ingredients.
8. Generous application of lotion to your hands and body is a good thing as long as it is good lotion. Good lotion is any lotion that does NOT contain petroleum by products like mineral oil, petrolatum and parabens. Read your labels. Your body will thank you for it. My #1 recommendations are Earthly Body or Hempz lotions in any aromas.
9. Be sure you have a firm grip on door and drawer handles before pulling to avoid slips that cause broken nails.
10. Move like a ballerina and lead with the back of your hand when reaching for things like light switches. This prevents you from snapping off a nail that finds the wall too soon.
11. Like Gardening? Invest in some goatskin gloves and use them when doing yardwork. Your hands and nails will rejoice in your wise decision. Even good garden soil harbors harmful bacteria that can lead to nail infections if given the opportunity.
12. If you decide to remove your own gel polish, please use the same soak off method we use in the salon. Do not peel it off or file it off. Do not soak in a bowl of acetone. Do not allow anyone else to do so either; they are not doing you any favors when they do.